Saturday 31 January 2009

Work continues



Exactly a month has passed since I seriously began to work on developing Saxon Mill Carr and things are really starting to take shape.

In the past 30 days a lot of the materials I had ordered arrived and so I have slowly been working on putting them in place.

Work today consisted of putting up a further two nest boxes and planting some trees



The first trees to be planted were a Sessile Oak and 3 Bird Cherries. Oaks are the countries most important species for supporting invertebrate life and Bird Cherry trees grow well on damp ground and produce berries in the autumn that are eaten by many species of bird.


For the last 3 weeks I have also been conducting a detailed tree survey. I have recorded the location of approximately 213 trees on the site. I used a GPS to plot their exact position and noted down their species. Below is a preliminary map of the results.

No comments: